Top Banner

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Japanese Treats! Konpeito (Part 1 of 3)

Sugary Sweets. Yum
   I made an order on jbox a while back and received my package (a few days after the earthquake too!). Jbox is a company located in Japan that ships out Japanese goods. This includes everything from office supplies, hobby/anime items, mangas, apparel and much more.

So I ordered a few things to try out (this is my first time ordering). I ordered some konpeito, melty kiss chocolate and some lotte black black gum. I'll be reviewing these treats all day long.

So the first thing is the konpeito. (In the picture, its the green bag to the left, I would have a better picture, but I ate it all already) It's actually not really special. It's just like coloured rock candy. I was told that they are different flavored, but they all tasted just sweet to me.
To give just a little history on it, konpeito was actually introduced by the Portugese and called it confeito. It was been adapted to become a traditional Japanese sweet candy. I've actually had similar rock candy before. Really reminds me of elementary school science where we put a string in a cup of dissolved sugar and see sugar crystals form. YUM.

You can get these treats and other goodies by clicking the pic to the right side bar or at the link below.

Are there any types of candy you recommend? Any wacky Japanese confectioneries you can think of?


13 comments:

Earl said...

Never had Japanese Candy. Exotic candy for the most part scares me, but the stuff in your picture looks pretty "normal." The only foreign candy I think I have ever had is that chinese rice candy where you eat the wrappers.

A said...

I'm always interested in these sort of things from foreign cultures. Sometimes there are some amazing finds among the strange foods.

RageCompeX said...

do they taste like fish?

Cameron said...

black black hard? XD Do these names make sense in the japanese context?

InfoTube said...

Yum!

David said...

I have some friends that are obsessed with that stuff. haha

Michael said...

Haven't heard of this before but it looks tasty. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Asty said...

the black gum is goood

Nick said...

good stuff

Anonymous said...

this blog is very good mmmm

psychpost said...

yum, is that caffeine gum?

animestan said...

You bet, I'll make a post later today about it.

Leminur said...

Japan food is awesome such as sushi and etc. Now Japanese treats sounds good too! I never tasted it though.

Post a Comment