Top Banner

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Competitive Gaming

Well for those that know me on steam, you probably noticed that I've been going into the direction of competitive gaming.
Can you find me in here?
My first amatuer taste of this type of gaming dates back to the days of L4D1. As some of you may have read in my blog post about L4D, it's mainly based on 4 person teams and that was exactly the size of a clan that I joined. The clan tag we played under was -A.D- in case you're wondering and along our journey, we picked up a few more members, bringing up member to about 8 or 9. But this was a major inconvenience though as a team only consisted of 4 members. Anyhow, we weren't competitive to the point of joining ESEA but we entered in a few ladders and played a few skrims.

Not long after, our clan leader's attendance started dropping dramatically and we lost a few members. Fast forward to L4D2, we do not play under any clan tag anymore but rather a group of close knit friends. Our circle now consists of about 5 people and we just play mostly against clans or other groups of friends. It was a good change of pace as we don't always have that tense feeling as if we were actually a clan but we enjoy thinking up unique tactics while having fun throughout each game.

Now in the present day, I've been more caught up in TF2  scene (also refer to a previous blog post if you want to know more about it, it's also a free game now). So far, I'm on a 6 person team and we play mostly skrims, looking to get into more competitive play in the future.

Just as a quick intro, there are two types of competitive teams in TF2, a 9 person team and a 6 person team.

A 9 person team is called a highlander team, which consists of 1 person playing 1 of the 9 classes where no person can play the same class. This offers more variety but less co-ordination because of such a large team.

A 6 person team usually consists of 2 scouts, 2 soldiers, 1 demoman and 1 medic. This type of arrangement is traditional but you may find people who "off-class" which is playing a class that does not belong to any of the above classes mentioned (such as engie, sniper, spy...).

So far, I'm loving the teamwork and communication aspect of TF2 (something I've never experienced because I've only played pub since).

I do not own or take credit for all of the above images, if you would like them to be taken down, please message me.
 
What is your experience of online gaming? Do you play competitively?

9 comments:

Sub Radar (Mike) said...

I never really played competitively, i just like playing with my friends... I do, however, love to watch replays of competitive gaming, it's like a work of art.

Anonymous said...

I've watched the competitive gaming stuff. Looks like fun. I'll have to try it out someday.

Anonymous said...

I tried wow once, didn't like it. I used to play starcraft online but I was awful, always got my ass handed to me, every game.

Shaw said...

I play TF2 alot

Shahan said...

TF2 is awesome, I didn't know you could do those highlander matches, sounds fun.

Great post

Magixx said...

I do play Heroes of Newerth, not really competitively, but its still fun :p

tamezisclutch said...

I actually play competitive on CoD Black Ops. Me and my team play Gamebattles we are currently 9th place.

A said...

Used to love playing TF2 online, don't know why but I just stopped one day...

Wolle said...

It would be great if you would give out some tips for tf2.

Post a Comment