Top Banner

Monday, July 25, 2011

Tuition Fees

After a day of panic and distress due to course selection, I now have an invoice on my tuition fees.
For my first year at UTSC (University of Toronto Scarborough for those that haven't seen my previous blog posts) tuition is based per course (and all those extra fees) + co-op fees since I'm in the co-op program. I heard though, for next year, tuition will just be based per semester, not per course, but anyways, for this year, it is $545.00 for a half year course. I'm taking 5 courses each semester. Adding this up with all the fees and then multiplying it by two comes out to be over $7000.

I'm not sure how this compares to the tuition of other post secondary schools in Canada and beyond (I heard that Americans pay much much more than this) but the fun part about my program is that in second year and beyond, the tuition is "non-regulated'. My second year tuition is estimated to be over $13,000; almost double of the amount from first year. Thankfully, I can live at home so I don't have to pay for residence.


I do not own or take credit for all of the above images, if you would like them to be taken down, please message me.
 
How does tuition fees measure up where you live? How do you manage to pay it?

15 comments:

nowaysj said...

Finished a graduate program in 07, spent over $110k in three years, and yes, that is in the states. Sounds cheap to me...

With that advanced degree, I've been able to secure one solid years worth of work in my field since 07. Awesome times for our generation. Currnetly in the US, the '10 class is at 50% unemployment. Awesome times indeed.

nowaysj said...

Oh, and followed!

Diego Sousa said...

i don't know who this works here in brazil :/

Shahan said...

Congratulations, never really knew anything about tuition fees around here =\

Thoon said...

Ugh, my largest worry for next year. Especially if I move like I'd like to. I have my eye on very good (thus expensive) universities too...

I hear these days the majority of people spend their entire lives stuck in the debt tuition fees cause.

Adam said...

Tuition here runs pretty high. A community college will run at least a couple thousand a semester.

Electric Addict said...

its $500 for 5 credits at a community college here

Anonymous said...

I hear Cuba has free universities. Just sayin..

Unknown said...

In the UK, most Uni's/ post secondary education cost £9000 a year, they've basically tripled this year -.- Followed and supported.

Alice said...

For me it's costing... aprox $5,735, though I get loans from the goverment to cover the costs which I only have to pay back once I start earning over £15,000 a year and I only pay about 9% I think from my pay check, I also get a maintinance loan to help with living costs and a maintinance grant which I don't have to pay back~

@Gyen Ming: Think that's only coming into affect in some universities in 2012, but people who are already at uni will continue to pay the amount they started with, at least for my university it's working that way.

Shaw said...

I beg the government for money :3

Wolle said...

Education should be for free

alex said...

Ah, tuition fees, the bane of my existence.
At least here in Australia we have help from the Government. :)
Tech Me

Unknown said...

I know the feeling..my tuition was hiked up 18% last semester.

nowaysj said...

@ Timothy Bowen, but for how long. We'll be folding that island under our wing soon enough.

Post a Comment